I teach and research topics at the intersection of computer science, psychology and medicine. I collaborate on cross-disciplinary projects to design and evaluate digital health interventions, and study the co-influence of technology use and emotion.
I am an investigator on competitive grants totaling $8M, including an NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence on digital interventions for chronic disease, an MRFF Million Minds project on Indigenous youth mental health, and ARC Discovery projects on emotion regulation and Indigenous technology design.
I have collaborated with researchers at Stanford University, University College London, Latrobe University, Swinburne University, Australian Catholic University, Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health, Royal Children's Hospital, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Western Health, Northern Health, Victorian Cancer Council, and Perinatal Anxiety & Depression Australia. I am an Honorary Associate Professor at University College London and was a visiting researcher at PARC, California.
- Thompson et al. Orygen Virtual World Project: bringing to life a new age of digitally enhanced youth mental health services. NHMRC Ideas. $396k
- Edmonds et al. Keeping the stories alive: bringing the Living Archive of Aboriginal Art out of 'lockdown'. Arts Collaborative Research Seed Funding. $20k
- Oldenburg et al. Interactive Digital Technology to Transform Australia's Chronic Disease Outcomes. NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence. $2.5M
- Eades et al. Bringing family, community, culture and country to indigenous youth mental health care. MRFF Million Minds Project. $5M.
- Krause, Lloyd-Smith, Hajek, Wadley, Hammill. Communities over the airwaves. Creativity and Wellbeing Hallmark Research Initiative. $13k.
- Kostakos, Wadley, Goncalves, Smith, Alvarez-Jimenez, Cox, Gross Conceptualising and Measuring 'Digital Emotion Regulation'. ARC Discovery Project. $410k.
- Clarke, Thorpe, Chenhall, Huebner, McCarthy, Khan, Treloyn, Wadley, Edmonds. Living Archive of Aboriginal Art Melbourne Networked Society Institute. $49k.
- Lawrence, Bird, Wadley, Graham, Bidwell, Eades, Dourish #thismymob: Establishing Digital Land Rights and Reconnecting Indigenous Communities through Emerging Technologies. ARC Discovery Indigenous 2017-19. $473k.
- Tarzi, Hegarty, Fiolet, Arabena, Wadley, Barnwell Engaging with community for the co-design of a technological resource for Aboriginal and Torres strait Islander people experiencing family violence . Melbourne Social Equity Institute. $50k.
- Joubert et al. Remote but Connected: a co-created digital platform to enable caregivers to support independent living for people with disability in the face of Covid-19. Melbourne Disability Institute.
- Western e-HEaLth patient information portal for Pregnancy (WeHELP), with Western Health and the Melbourne Medical School
- Forster, McLachlan, Shafiei, Wadley, Biggs, Couch, Wyett, Smith A moderated online peer support app to prevent perinatal depression and anxiety in ‘at risk’ expectant and new mothers: a pilot randomised controlled trial. Latrobe University 'Building Healthy Communities' Fund. $28k.
- Wadley, Alvarez-Jimenez, Bendall, Loveridge, Lederman, Gleeson Virtual reality therapy for youth mental health. Melbourne Networked Society Institute 2017. $28k.
- Clinch, Goncalves, Kostakos, Koval, Wadley Understanding how personal technologies are used to regulate emotion . University of Melbourne–University of Manchester Research Fund. $10k.
- Forster, McLachlan, Shafiei, Smith, Richardson, Wadley, Biggs, Stelfox IVY: InVestigating an online community of support for emotional health in pregnancy. Beischer Foundation 2017. $102k.
- Davidson, Wade, Wadley, Reavley, Fletcher, Gunn, Cameron Driving to Health: A mental health app for taxi drivers. Shepherd Foundation 2017. $78k.
- Davidson, Wadley, Reavley, Russon, Gunn Driving for Change: A video game to reduce depression in taxi drivers. Melbourne Networked Society Institute, 2015, $60k.
- Gibney, McVernon, Tong, Dhurrkay, Dockery, Taylor, Geard, Campbell, Bird, Wadley, Tomko, Singh, Warr Digital solutions for capturing connectedness and mobility data in remote Indigenous communities. Hallmark Indigenous Research Initiative Seed Funding 2017. $50k.
- Bumpus, Green, Wadley Communicating Climate Effectiveness: improving local development and climate change project effectiveness using mobile phones in the Nadi Basin, Fiji. Melbourne Sustainability Society Institute, 2013, $16k
- Rice, Alvarez-Jimenez, Gleeson, Davey, Hetrick, Parker, Bendall, Wadley, Lederman, McGorry . Preventing relapse of major depressive disorder in young people (15 – 25yrs): Development and piloting of a moderated online social therapy intervention. HCF Health and Medical Research Foundation. 2012, $200k
- Álvarez‐Jiménez, Gleeson, Lederman, Wadley, Bendall, McGorry, Yung, Killackey, The HORYZONS project: Online Recovery for Youth Onset Psychosis, Melbourne University Interdisciplinary Seed Funding, 2011, $45k
- Álvarez‐Jiménez, Gleeson, Lederman, Wadley, Bendall, McGorry, Yung, Killackey, Online Recovery for Youth Onset Psychosis, Telstra Foundation, 2011, $75k
- Álvarez‐Jiménez, Gleeson, Lederman, Wadley, Bendall, Killackey, Yung, McGorry, HORYZONS: Online Recovery for Youth Onset Psychosis, Telstra Foundation, 2011, $150k
- Lederman, Gleeson, Álvarez‐Jiménez, Killackey, Wadley, Broadband for First Episode Psychosis Patients, Institute for a Broadband Enabled Society, 2010, $12k
- Wadley, Gibbs, Benda, Voice communication in massively‐multiplayer online games, Microsoft Research Asia, 2005, $15k
- Elahi Hossain's PhD on social media and student wellbeing, with Anna Cox and Nadia Berthouze
- Daniel Peyton's PhD on behavioural interventions for children and parents, with Harriet Hiscock and Naomi Hackworth
- Martin Dutch's PhD on risk calculation in organ donation, with Jonathon Knott
- Kangning Yang's PhD on affective computing, with Jorge Goncalves and Tilman Dingler
- Houyuwen Lu's Masters project on digital experiences with nature
- Shaira Baptista's PhD on diabetes management technologies, with Jane Speight and Brian Oldenburg
- Marianne Webb's PhD on mental health screening apps for general practice, with Lena Sanci
- Arthur Stabolidis's PhD on apps for managing chronic pain, with Christina Bryant and Lisa Phillips
- Akshay Gohil's Masters project on digital emotion regulation
- Ashley Quan, Haruki Miyamoto, Zhenyuan Liu, and Yirong Zhang's 2021 Masters projects on digital emotion regulation
- Masters project on assessing the UX of virtual reality by Gonzalo Garcia Martinez
- Masters project on virtual reality intervention for mental health by Tamar Wong
- Masters projects on digital emotion regulation by Zixuan He, Yidi Liu, Jialiang Zhu
- Masters projects on digital emotion regulation by Yaoxi Shi, Jiahui Liang, Zihe Wang
- TangShuang Qin's Masters project on voice UIs for the elderly, with Jenny Waycott
- Gilbert Massoud's Masters project on virtual reality, with Aaron Harwood
- Yu Geng's Masters project on detecting emotion using phones, with Jorge Gonvalves
- Dave Eccles' Masters project on outsourcing, with Sean Maynard
- Yunhan Li's Masters project on VR-supported music therapy, with Ken Clarke and Ben Loveridge
- Jaime Castillo's Masters project on immersive environments for music therapy, with Ken Clarke, Ben Loveridge and Jeanette Tamplin
- Taniya Roy's Masters project on therapeutic game design, with Reeva Lederman
- Xu Sun's Masters project on machine learning classification of eHealth usage data, with Karin Verspoor
- Abbas Heidari's Masters project on social engagement for children in hospital, with Frank Vetere
- Kevin Hew's Honours project on gamer reactions to voice, with Martin Gibbs
- CJ Ruggles' Honours project on community-building techniques, with Martin Gibbs
- Stephanie Ng's Honours project on an IT-supported community of practice, with Martin Gibbs