I hold degrees in Computer Science (BSc, Qld), Cognitive Science (MSc, Melb) and Human-Computer Interaction (PhD, Melb), and have a Graduate Certificate in University Teaching (Melb).
Emotion and its Regulation
I study how people use technology to manage their emotions, informed by psychological research on emotion regulation.
Avatars and Virtual Worlds
- Health Subcommittee co-chair for CHI 2022 and CHI 2023
- Paper Chair for OzCHI 2022
- spoke about teaching methods at Scholarship of Technology Enhanced Learning (SoTEL) showcase
- panelist in Immersive mindfulness: can real life compare with digital worlds? on ABC Big Ideas
- Workshop on The Future of Emotion in Human-Computer Interaction at CHI 2022
- new project to trial avatar therapy for mental health
- new project to design AI-powered search for mental health forums
- new project with Gunditjmara community funded by Indigenous Knowledge Institute
- Yaoxi Shi, Peter Koval, Vassilis Kostakos, Jorge Goncalves, Greg Wadley (2022) "Instant Happiness": Smartphones as Tools for Everyday Emotion Regulation. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies.
- Yang, K., Tag, B., Wang, C., Gu, Y., Sarsenbayeva, Z., Dingler, T., Wadley, G. & Goncalves, J. (2022) Survey on Emotion Sensing Using Mobile Devices. IEEE Transactions on Affective Computing, (01), 1-20.
- Wadley, G., Kostakos, V., Koval, P., Smith, W., Webber, S., Cox, A., Gross, J., Höök, K., Mandryk, R. & Slovák, P. (2022) The Future of Emotion in Human-Computer Interaction . CHI '22 Extended Abstracts
- Smith, W., Wadley, G., Webber, S., Tag, B., Kostakos, V., Koval, P., and Gross, J. (2022) Digital Emotion Regulation in Everyday Life. Proceedings of CHI 2022
- Kelly, R., Seabrook, E., Foley, F., Thomas, N., Nedjelkovic, M. & Wadley G. (2022). Design considerations for supporting mindfulness in virtual reality. Frontiers in Virtual Reality, vol. 2.
- Dutch, M. J., Knott, J. C., Wadley, G. (2021) Clinical decision support for increased-risk organ transplants: participatory design. Proceedings of OzCHI 2021.
My service work includes chairing a human research ethics committee, organizing conferences, managing publication reviews, community outreach teaching, and speaking at events and in the media.
This video presents an overview of our studies of digital emotion regulation.
This video presents our visit to Budj Bim to capture data for use by the Gunditj Mirring Traditional Owner Aboriginal Corporation.
- email: greg.wadley at unimelb.edu.au
School of Computing and Information Systems
Level 5, Melbourne Connect
700 Swanston Street
University of Melbourne, VIC 3010, Australia