I hold degrees in Computer Science (BSc, Qld), Cognitive Science (MSc, Melb) and Human-Computer Interaction (PhD, Melb).
Emotion and its Regulation
I study how people use technology to manage their emotions, informed by psychological research on emotion regulation.
Avatars and Virtual Worlds
- Health Subcommittee co-chair for CHI 2022 and CHI 2023
- Paper Chair for OzCHI 2022
- Workshop on The Future of Emotion in Human-Computer Interaction at CHI 2022
- new project to trial avatar therapy for mental health
- Panelist at Immersive mindfulness: can real life compare with digital worlds? at National Science Week
- Benjamin Tag, Zhanna Sarsenbayeva, Anna Cox, Greg Wadley, Jorge Goncalves, Vassilis Kostakos (2022) Emotion Trajectories in Smartphone Use: Towards recognizing emotion regulation in-the-wild. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies vol 166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2022.102872
- Smith, W., Wadley, G., Webber, S., Tag, B., Kostakos, V., Koval, P., and Gross, J. (2022) Digital Emotion Regulation in Everyday Life. Proceedings of CHI 2022
- Wadley, G., Kostakos, V., Koval, P., Smith, W., Webber, S., Cox, A., Gross, J., Höök, K., Mandryk, R. & Slovák, P. (2022) The Future of Emotion in Human-Computer Interaction . CHI '22 Extended Abstracts
- Tag, B. van Berkel, N., Vargo, A., Sarsenbayeva, Z., Colasante, T., Wadley, G., Webber, S., Smith, W., Koval, P., Hollenstein, T., Goncalves, J., Kostakos, V. (2022) Impact of the Global Pandemic upon Young People's Use of Technology for Emotion Regulation. Computers in Human Behavior Reports
- Hossain, E., Wadley, G., Berthouze, N., Cox, A. (2022) Motivational and Situational Aspects of Active and Passive Social Media Breaks May Explain the Difference Between Recovery and Procrastination. CHI 2022 Late-Breaking Work
- Kelly, R., Seabrook, E., Foley, F., Thomas, N., Nedjelkovic, M. & Wadley G. (2022). Design considerations for supporting mindfulness in virtual reality. Frontiers in Virtual Reality, vol. 2.
My service and community work includes conference organisation, review management and teaching outreach.