"This geospatial stuff is going to get bigger, faster than
Kevin Kelly, former WIRED editor
"Maps become a user interface to many things
Geography is another way, a different way, to organise
Financial Times 21.5.2008
"Essentially, all models are wrong but some are useful."
"We have to do better at producing tools to support the whole research cycle—from data capture and data curation to data analysis and data visualization."
Jim Gray 2007
"Data and information flow will be far more valuable than hardware and software."
Grace Hopper, On the future of computing.
Talk at MIT Lincoln Laboratory on 25 April 1985
- Making human place knowledge digestible by computers (ARC Discovery, 2017-2019)
- Self-Healing Maps: protecting maps through automatic updating processes (ARC Discovery, 2017-2019)
- Integrating Mobility on Demand in Urban Transport Infrastructures (ARC Linkage, 2012-2014)
- From environmental monitoring to management: extracting
knowledge about environmental events from sensor data (ARC
- Talking about
Place (ARC Linkage, 2011-2014)
Geographic Flowering Calendar Using Dynamic Data From the WWW (RIRDC, 2010-12)
Human Knowledge on Spatial Semantics of Placenames (IBES,
- Cognitive Engineering for
Navigation Assistance (Go8/DAAD, 2008-09, 2010)
- Smart Location Sensors for Emergency
Responders (ARC Linkage International, 2008-10)
- Intelligent Self-Organising Transport
(ARC Discovery, 2008-10)
Movements and Honeybee Epidemics (RIRDC, 2008-10)
- Ad-Hoc Ride Sharing (self funded,
- Access to spatial data (Cooperative
Research Center for Spatial Information, 2004-07)
- Salience of landmarks (Early Career
Researcher Project, 2003-04)
Teaching and supervision
- Foundations of Spatial Information
- Advanced Topics in GIScience
- Spatial Information Research Projects
- PhD (on request):
I am offering to supervise research projects in the area of
spatial human-computer interaction, spatio-temporal data mining, geographic information retrieval, intelligent
transportation systems and in the general area of geographic
information science -- if you are interested in a PhD under my supervision have a look at my publications and relate to my interests.