My primary research interests encapsulate artificial intelligence, machine learning techniques and game theory, with a strong focus on evolutionary computation.
I am an Associate Editor for the leading journal IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation.
Current funded projects
- IC200100009 (2021 - 2026). ARC Training Centre in Optimisation Technologies, Integrated Methodologies, and Applications (OPTIMA). There are 18 CIs across the University of Melbourne and Monash University.
- NDIS Grant GO4772 (2021 - 2023). Positive Behaviour Support: A collaborative approach to delivering best practice. CIs: McVilly, K., Fisher, A., Nankervis, K., Vassos, M., Kirley, M., Oliveira, E. and Robinson, S.
Previous ARC funded projects
- DP180101215 (2018 - 2021). A computational theory of strategic deception. CIs: Smith, W., Sonenberg, L. and Kirley, M. (PIs: Dignum, F. and Kuhn, G.)
- DP160102231 (2016 - 2019). Co-evolution of cooperation, mindreading, and morality. CIs: Kashima,Y., Kirley, M., Howes, P. and Laham, S.
- DP130100845 (2013 - 2016). Co-evolutionary dynamics of cultural and social structure. CIs: Kashima, Y., Robins, G. and Kirley, M.
- DP0664674 (2006 - 2009). Evolutionary algorithms for global grids. CI: Kirley, M.