Khalid Abdulla CEng MIMechE
About MeMy name is Khalid Abdulla and I'm a Chartered Professional Engineer and a PhD student at the Melbourne School of Engineering at the University of Melbourne, I am also a research intern working one-day per week at IBM Research Australia. My academic supervisors are Prof. Saman Halgamuge, A/Prof. Andrew Wirth, Dr. Kent Steer and Dr. Julian de Hoog. Before coming to Australia to study towards a PhD I graduated with an MEng in Electrical and Mechanical Engineering from the University of Edinburgh in 2009, and worked as a Design and Project Engineer for the wave energy company Aquamarine Power for 5 years where I obtained my Engineering Chartership with the IMechE.
About My ResearchMy research is concerned with optimisation problems encountered when trying to incorporate a larger percentage of Renewable Energy Sources into electricity supply systems. In particular I am interested in least-cost approaches to dealing with the non-dispatchable nature of many Renewable Energy Sources as well as issues arising from supply and demand forecasting errors, especially at varying levels of supply and demand aggregation.
- Abdulla K, Wirth A, Halgamuge SK, Steer KC, Selecting an Optimal
Combination of Storage & Transmission Assets with a
Non-Dispatchable Electricity Supply. 7th
International Conference on Information and Automation for
Sustainability ICIAfS-2014, 22nd-24th December 2014,
Colombo, Sri Lanka.
(Received Best Paper Award in the Sustainable Energy Usage and Distribution track).
- Abdulla K, Skelton J, Doherty K, O'Kane P, Doherty R, Bryans G. Statistical Availability Analysis of Wave Energy Converters. 21st International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference ISOPE-2011, 19th-24th June 2011, Maui, Hawaii, USA.
- Abdulla K, de Hoog J, Muenzel V, Suits F, Steer KC, Wirth A, Halgamuge SK. Optimal Operation of Energy Storage Systems Considering Forecasts and Battery Degradation. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. (Accepted for Publication).
- Abdulla K, Steer KC, Wirth A, Halgamuge SK, de Hoog J. Accounting for Forecast Uncertainty in the Optimized Operation of Energy Storage. ISGT-Asia 2016, 28th Novermber-1st Decmber 2016, Melbourne, Australia.
- Abdulla K, Steer KC, Wirth A, Halgamuge SK. Improving the On-line Control of Energy Storage via Forecast Error Metric Customization. Elsevier Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 8, November 2016, pp 51-59.
- Abdulla K, Steer KC, Wirth A, de Hoog J,
Halgamuge SK. Integrating
Data-Driven Forecasting and Optimization to Improve the Operation of
Distributed Energy Storage. IEEE 14th
International Conference on Smart
City 2016, 12th-14th
Dececmber 2016, Sydney, Australia.
(Winner of best student paper award).
- Abdulla K, Steer KC, Wirth A, de Hoog J, Halgamuge SK. The Importance of Temporal Resolution in Evaluating Residential Energy Storage. IEEE PESGM 2017, 16th-20th July 2017, Chicago, USA. (Accepted for presentation).
- Bourdier S, Abdulla K, Henry A, Whittaker T. Derivation of Wave Loads for the Design of Oscillating Wave Surge Converters. 10th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference EWTEC-2013, 2nd-5th February 2013, Aalborg, Denmark.
- de Hoog J, Abdulla K. Making batteries viable - Boosting the value of storage. ReNew Magazine, Issue 136, July 2016.
Talks / Posters
- The poster for the "Importance of Temporal Resolution" paper listed above to be presented at IEEE PESGM 2017 in Chicago.
- A talk given at Australian Utility Week by my IBM colleague, Julian de Hoog, discusses recent work we have done investigating the importance of considering battery degradation in the operational optimisation of battery energy storage systems.
More About MeTo find out more about me please see my:
Young Member Profile on IMechE website
Google Scholar Page
Khalid Abdulla CEng MIMechE
University of Melbourne