Fellow, Marie Curie
Fellow, Academy of Finland Distinguished Professor Program
Founding Editor, PACM IMWUT
- Vacancy: I'm hiring a postdoc to work on smartphone sensing. See here.
- 10 Jul 2017: I am one of the instructors at the ACM Summer School on Crowdsourcing in Suzhou, China.
- 8 Mar 2017: I have moved to the University of Melbourne, School of Computing and Information Systems.
- 15 Nov 2016: I'm one of the editors of the new journal PACM IMWUT, that will replace the main technical track of the UbiComp conference. Please submit!
- 13-16 Sep 2016: Our group has 3 full papers at UbiComp 2016, and is running 4 workshops.
- 12 Sep 2016: Invited speaker Symposium on HCI Grand Challenges at UCL.
- 22-28 Aug 2016: I'm one of the instructors at the Vienna Summer School on Smart Cities.
Potential PhD students
My group is looking for PhD students to work with us. You need to have strong technical skills, and be motivated to build novel interactive technologies that better understand and better respond to humans. Please have a look at my research and publications pages to get an understanding of the research we do. If you send me an email regarding doing a PhD, please include your CV and a summary of the kind of research you want to do.
- iSCIENCE. Academy of Finland: 2015-2018.
- iCYCLE. Academy of Finland: 2015-2016.
- GRAGE. Marie Skłodowska-Curie Research and Innovation Staff Exchange, Horizon 2020: 2014-2018.
- UBI-Metrics. Academy of Finland: 2011-2014.
- Urban Flows and Networks (Fellowship of the Finland Distinguished Professor Programme). Academy of Finland & TEKES, Finland: 2010-2013.
- SPAEN: a Software Platform for Automated Enterprise-wide aNalytics. Innovisoft & Regional government of Madeira: 2010-2011.
- Leveraging community content for disaster awareness and emergency response coordination. IBM Faculty Award: 2010-2012.
- WeSP: Web Security and Privacy: Weaving together technology innovation with human and policy considerations. FCT, Portugal: 2009-2012.
- Usability evaluation techniques for situated privacy. FCT, Portugal: 2010-2013.
- SINAIS: Sustainable Interaction with social Networks, context Awareness and Innovative Services. FCT, Portugal: 2009-2012
- Novel sensing techniques for urban transport. Industry funded: 2008-2011.
- Cityware: Urban design and pervasive systems. EPSRC, UK: 2005-2009.
Editorials & Organisation
- Editor, Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (PACM IMWUT) [html]
- Co-chair, PerDis 2016 - International Symposium on Pervasive Displays [html]
- MUM 2015 Demo Chair [html]
- Associate Editor, Frontiers in Human Media Interaction [html]
- Organiser, Ubicomp 2013 workshop on Human Interfaces for Civic and Urban Engagement (HiCUE) [html]
- Organiser, Ubicomp 2013 workshop on Ubiquitous Mobile Instrumentation (UbiMI) [html]
- Organiser, Ubicomp 2013 workshop on Computer Mediated Social Offline Interactions (SOFTec) [html]
- Organiser, Ubicomp 2012 workshop on Ubiquitous Mobile Instrumentation (UbiMI) [html]
- Organiser, Ubicomp 2012 workshop on Computer Mediated Social Offline Interactions (SOFTec) [html]
- Guest Editor, special issue of IJHCS on Social Networks and Ubiquitous Interactions (2012) [PDF]
- Organiser, WWW 2012 workshop on Social web for disaster management [html]
- Organiser, Urban Sensoria Workshop at Ubicomp 2011 [html]
- Interact 2011 Associate Chair [html]
- Ubicomp 2010 Workshop chair [html]
- TEI 2011 Demo chair [html]
- Organised the first workshop on Social Networks and Ubiquitous Computing at the NetSci 2008 conference. Held on June 23rd 2008 at Norwich, UK. [html]
- UbiSoc 2005 organiser: First international workshop on the social implications of ubiquitous computing. Held on April 4 at CHI 2005, Portland, US. [html]
- Special issue Editor of Interacting with Computers: The social implications of emerging technologies. May 2005, 17(4). [html]
Technical Programme Committees
- WWW 2018 - The Web Conference [html]
- UbiComp 2016 - ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing [html]
- AmI 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 (Thematic Chair) - International conference on Ambient Intelligence [html]
- ENIC 2014 - The First European Network Intelligence Conference [html]
- PD-Apps 2014 - Workshop on Developing Applications for Pervasive Display Networks [html]
- PerDis 2013, 2014 - International Symposium on Pervasive Displays [html]
- MUM 2011, 2012, 2013 - International Conference on Mobile and Ubiquitous Multimedia [html]
- ICWSM 2012, 2013 - International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media [html]
- Sociable Smart City 2013 - Symposium on Smart Cities, International Conference on Intelligent Environments [html]
- ASONAM 2013 - International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining [html]
- EIPS 2013 - Experiencing Interactivity in Public Spaces [html]
- C&T 2011, 2012 - International Conference on Communities & Technologies [html]
- UbiCrowd 2012 - Ubiquitous Crowdsourcing workshop at Ubicomp 2012 [html]
- SIPC'12 - IEEE International Workshop on Social Implications of Pervasive Computing [html]
- SCA2011 - International Conference on Social Computing and Applications [html]
- HotPlanet 2009, 2010, 2011 - the ACM International Workshop on Hot Topics of Planet-scale Mobility Measurements. [html]
- IPSoN11 - Workshop on the Integration of Physical and Social-Network Sensing and Mining [html]
- SNAA 2011 - Workshop on Social Network Analysis in Applications [html]
- Simplex 2011 - Simplifying Complex Networks for Practitioners [html]
- Pervasive 2011 workshop selection committee [html]
- SOTICS 2011 - The First International Conference on Social Eco-Informatics [html]
- SocialComNet 2011 - International Workshop on Social Computing, Network, Services [html]
- Digital Cities 7 (with Communities & Technologies 2010), Brisbane, Australia [html]
- EC 2010, 2011 - Workshop on Enterprise Crowdsourcing [html]
- SocialCom 2010 [html]
- U-NET'10 - Workshop on User-provided Networking, 2010
- PerCom'10 work in progress [html]
- FSKD'10 - International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery
- WEIA’09 - Workshop on Emerging Internet Applications, 2009 [html]
- U-NET'09 - Workshop on User-provided Networking, 2009 [html]
- International Workshop on Social Interaction and Mundane Technologies, 2008. [html]
- W3C workshop on the Future of Social Networking, 2008 [html]
- ACM Symposium on Applied Computing 2007, track on Ubiquitous Computing. [html]
- Journals: ACM Transaction on Computer-Human Interaction, ACM Transactions on Internet Technology, Advances in Human Computer Interaction, Computer Journal, Computers Environment and Urban Systems, Geographical Analysis, IEEE Pervasive Computing Magazine, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Computing, IEEE Transactions on Systems Man and Cybernetics Part B, Information Processing Letters, Interacting with Computers, International Journal of Arts and Technology, International Journal of Health Geographics, International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, Journal of Systems and Software, Journal of Urban Technology, Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Pervasive and Mobile Computing, PLoS ONE, Transportation Research Part C.
- Conferences: ACM CHI, ACM CSCW, ACM C&T, ACM DIS, ACM IUI, ACM SAC, ACM Ubicomp (and previously Pervasive), ACM TEI, MobileHCI, IEEE SocialCom, IEEE Infocom, INTERACT, NordiCHI, OzCHI, Percom.
- APA Science: Interview (In German)(25/8/2016) [html]
- The Economist: Buddy, can you spare a Watt? (30/4/2016) [html]
- New Scientist: Magnetic messages let smartphones receive secret data (3/7/2014) [html]
- New Scientist: Use a bus stop touchscreen to kill time – and help out (31/7/2013) [html]
- Communications of the ACM: Crowdsourcing Platforms Monitor Disease, Dissent, and Disasters (8/3/2013) [html]
- CanalUP: Facebook is far from dying (in Portuguese) (30/6/2011) [html]
- New Scientist: Earthquake? Terrorist bomb? Call in the AI (18/5/2011) [html1 | html2]
- Hack-a-day: Wine cask sensor suite (4/8/2010) [html]
- Scientific American: Manipulation of the Crowd: How Trustworthy Are Online Ratings? (1/7/2010) [html]
- MIT Technology Review: Can You Trust Crowd Wisdom? (16/9/2009) [html]
- SIC: Sinais project: Sensors in public transport anticipate users' needs (8/9/2009) [video]
- Eleftherotipia: The cityware project (in Greek) (26/10/2008) [PDF]
- The Guardian: Bluetooth is watching (21/7/2008) [html]
- New Scientist: Bluetooth provides spies with a window into your life (30/4/2008) [html]
- Slashdot: Bluetooth Surveillance Tested In the UK (22/4/2008) [html]
- New Scientist: Towards the Facebook phone (8/2/2008) [html]
- BBC Radio: Interview on Drivetime show (20/8/2007)
- BBC News: Bluetooth helps Facebook friends (16/08/2007) [html]
- BBC News: Futuristic phones tested in city (22/2/2006) [html]
- Unwired magazine: Cityware for Facebook (09/2007)
- The Register: Boffins wrestle with future in Roman Bath (20/2/2006) [html]
- TVNZ: Historic city hosts modern experiment (21/2/2006) [html]
- Using smartphones for population research (given at The University of Melbourne 2017) [PDF]
- Modelling Smartphone Usage: A Markov State Transition Model (given at UbiComp 2016) [PDF]
- The big hole in HCI: UCL Symposium on Grand Challenges in HCI (London 2016) [PDF]
- Executive workshop at City of Vienna (Vienna 2016) [PDF]
- Instructor at Smart City Summer school (Vienna 2016) [PDF1 PDF2 PDF3]
- Digital whispers - What can technologies tell us about humans & cities? (given at Smart City Seminar 2015) [PDF]
- Modelling what friendship patterns of Facebook reveal about personality and social capital (given at the CHI 2015) [PDF]
- Identity Crisis of Ubicomp? Mapping 15 Years of the Field’s Development and Paradigm Change (given at the UbiComp 2014) [PDF]
- CHI 1994-203: Mapping Two Decades of Intellectual Progress through Co-word Analysis (given at the CHI 2014) [PDF]
- Crowdsourcing beyond the desktop (given at the Dagstuhl workshop on crowdsourcing, Dagstuhl, 2013) [PDF]
- Unwinding spatial and transpatial networks (given at the Lorentz center in Leiden, Holland, 2012) [PDF]
- From labs to cities: Mapping the social impact of ubiquitous technologies (given at Technical University of Vienna, 2012) [PDF]
- Ubiquitous computing and smarter cities (given at ETH Zurich, 2012) [PDF]
- From labs to cities: Mapping the social impact of ubiquitous technologies (given at University of Zurich, 2012) [PDF]
- From labs to cities: Mapping the social impact of ubiquitous technologies (given at University of Lugano, 2012) [PDF]
- From labs to cities: Mapping the social impact of ubiquitous technologies (keynote at SIPC 2012, Percom, Lugano) [PDF]
- Driving innovation in urban computing with a community testbed (given at Pervasive 2011, San Fransisco) [PDF]
- Towards real-time emergency response using crowd supported analysis of social media (given at IBM TJ Watson, 2011) [PDF]
- Ubiquitous Computing: Moving Interaction Beyond the Desktop and into the City (given at University of Athens, 2011) [PDF]
- Towards smarter public transport (keynote at IEEE Latincom, Colombia, 2010) [PDF]
- Ubiquitous computing research (given at University Santiago Cali, Colombia, 2010) [PDF]
- Privacy: The final frontier (given at the UbiOulu Forum, University of Oulu, 2010) [PDF]
- Making friends in life and online: Equivalence, micro-correlation and value in spatial and transpatial social networks (given at SCA/SocialCom 2010,Minneapolis) [PDF]
- Urban Social Networks: Sensing, Modelling and Visualising Urban Mobility and Copresence Networks (given at the 2nd Open Ubiquitous City Seminar, Oulu, 2010) [PDF]
- Brief Encounters: Sensing, Modeling and Visualizing Urban Mobility and Copresence Networks (given at CHI 2010, Atlanta) [PDF]
- Novel sensing techniques for urban transport (given at University of Oulu, 2009) [PDF]
- Urban encounters of the 3rd type (keynote at the 2009 ICA workshop on Geospatial Analysis and Modeling, Gavle, Sweden) [[PDF]
- Designing trustworthy situated services (given at CHI 2009, Boston) [PDF]
- Human-Computer Interaction presentation at the Living Science Expo (given at FIL, Lisbon, 2008) [PDF]
- Cityware: Interplay between physical and digital space (given at The Bartlett, UCL, 2008) [PDF]
- Understanding spatial and transpatial networks (given at Cambridge University, 2008) [PDF]
- Urban deployment of Bluetooth (given at Carnegie Mellon University, 2007) [PDF]
- City-ware: space, technologies & people (given at The Bartlett, UCL, 2007) [PDF]
- Pervasive Computing 1.0 (given at Dorkbot & Spike Media, Bristol, 2007) [PDF]
- Brief encounter networks (given at the University of Oxford, 2007) [PDF]
- Pervasive Computing 1.0 (given at the AgentCities workshop, Bath, 2007) [PDF]
- Quantifying the effect of space on encounter (given at the Space Syntax Symposium, Istanbul, 2007) [PDF]
- Experiences with urban deployment of Bluetooth (given at Computer Science, UCL, 2007) [PDF]
- Understanding mobility and encounter in the digital landscape (given at EPSRC WINES workshop, Warwick University, 2007) [PDF]
- Experiences with urban deployment of Bluetooth (given at University of California, San Diego, 2007) [PDF]
- NFC: Issues, lessons and future research (given at Percom, New York, 2007) [PDF]
- City-ware: space, technologies & people (given at The Bartlett, UCL, 2006) [PDF]
- Cityware and Bluetooth tracking (given at Cambridge University, 2006) [PDF]
- Instrumenting the city (given at Ubicomp, California, 2006) [PDF]
- Cityware: Urban design and pervasive systems (given at Microsoft Research, Cambridge, 2006) [PDF]
- Building common ground by sharing mobile device context (given at LoCA, IBM Dublin, 2006) [PDF]
- A design framework for pervasive systems (given at Hewlett-Packard Labs, Bristol, 2006) [PDF]
- Research overview of Bluetooth in urban space (given at The Bartlett, UCL, 2006) [PDF]
- The Cityware Project: Pervasive computing and urban space (given at the University of Bath, 2005) [PDF]
- Pervasive computing: Interaction and design (given at Lancaster University, 2005) [PDF]
- Pervasive computing: Interaction and design (given at Athens University of Economics and Business, 2005) [PDF]
- Pervasive computing in emergency situations (given at HICSS 04, Hawaii) [PDF]
- A novel approach for identification and authentication of users in a pervasive environment (given at UkUbinet, Cambridge University, 2004) [PDF]
- Designing pervasive systems for society (given at Pervasive, Vienna, 2004) [PDF]
- A directional stroke recognition technique (given at HCI, Bath, 2003)
- Introducing pervasive systems to society (given at Imperial College, UkUbinet 2003) [PDF]
- Public spaces and pervasive computing (given at the University of Bath, 2002)
University of Oulu
- Fall 2015 - Human Computer Interaction (521145A)
- Spring 2015 - Mobile and Social Computing (521147S)
- Fall 2014 ~ Spring 2015 - Applied Computing Project 2 (521152S)
- Fall 2014 ~ Spring 2015 - Applied Computing Project 1 (521151A)
- Fall 2014 - Research Methods in Computer Science (521146S)
- Fall 2014 - Human Computer Interaction (521145A)
- Spring 2014 - Mobile and Social Computing (521147S)
- Fall 2013 - Applied Computing Project 1 (521151A)
- Fall 2013 - Research Methods in Computer Science (521146S)
- Fall 2013 - Human Computer Interaction (521145A)
- Spring 2013 - Mobile and Social Computing (521147S)
- Fall 2012 - Research Methods in Computer Science (521146S)
- Fall 2012 - Human Computer Interaction (521145A)
- Spring 2012 - Information Networks Service Techniques (521499A)
University of Madeira
- Fall 2010 - Social Web
- Fall 2010 - HCI Project II
- Spring 2010 - HCI Project I
- Spring 2010 - Research Topics in Ubiquitous Computing
- Fall 2009 - Social Web
- Spring 2009 - Research Topics in Ubiquitous Computing
- Spring 2009 - Programing Usable Interfaces
- Fall 2008 - Social Web
- Spring 2008 - Software Architectures for User Interfaces
University of Bath
- Spring 2005 - Software Engineering
- Spring 2005 - Project Management
- AWARE: A middleware for context aware computing on smartphones. [html]
- CrisisTracker is an online platform that tracks crises reports on Twitter in realtime. [html]
- Urban mobility analytics is an online portal for exploring realtime and historic wireles mobility traces in captured in Oulu. [html]
- Geotrafics: A geographic traffic visualization tool for exploring vehicular traffic patterns in Oulu. [html]
- A PHP heatmap library. [html]
- DIY Bluetooth scanning and instructions. [html]
- Social network analysis bits. [html]
- Bluestation: A distributed Bluetooth capture-dissemination infrastructure written in Perl for Unix-like systems. [html]
- FastBlueScanner: A C Bluetooth scanner optimised for multi-dongle scanning and name-requesting. [html]
- CitywareScanner: A Java Bluetooth scanner for multi-platform support. Uses a single dongle, optimised for running on multiple platforms. [zip]
- Scanning Demo: A Java Bluetooth scanning demo with a realtime social network visualisation. [zip]
- Implementation of temporal graph algorithms - includes variants that rely on RAM, CPU, or hard disk space (depending on the size of the network you want to analyse). [zip]
- Implementation of partial quotients and the continued fractions algorithm in Maple. [zip]
- Implementation of Newton's method in Complex space using Maple. [zip]
- A simple lexer for a Very Simple Language. [zip]
- An LL(1) recursive descent parser for a Very Simple Language. [zip]
- An LR(1) parser using YACC for a Very Simple Language. [zip]
- Basketball: I play basketball for YMCA Kaikki, and previously played for Uniao da Madeira, the Trowbridge Hawks, Team Bath Romans and the University of Bath. Finland Northern region champions (2016), UK Southwest Cup-Winner (2003) and MVP (2007), British University semi-finalist (2003). Lifetime achievement award (2005).
- Football: I played for the Maths & Computer Science team. Golden boot award (2006).
- Cycling: I try to cycle to work. In Madeira it was 2.5km distance, 200m ascent. It took 15-20 minutes.
- Computers: I use macs, mostly.
- Research: Pervasive systems gone bad.
- Help: Are you Greek, a student, and looking for a house? If so, then listen to this.
- Advice: If you came here looking for advice, here it is: wear sunscreen.
- Heritage: I am a Maniot.
- Family: My brother is Dr Evil: his research is on organised crime. Cool!
My publications appear in various incomplete databases. Therefore I maintain a definitive list below.
Google Scholar | ResearchGate | DBLP | ACM | Scopus | Microsoft Academic | Semantic Scholar | Orcid | ResearcherID
- V. Kostakos. 2009. "An empirical study of spatial and transpatial social networks using Bluetooth and Facebook", ArXiv e-prints, vol. 0910, pp. 1-17.
[pdf] [bibtex] [Citations: 5]
- V. Kostakos. 2009. "Is the crowd's wisdom biased? A quantitative asessment of three online communities", ArXiv e-prints, vol. 0909, pp. 1-17.
- V. Kostakos, E. O'Neill. 2008. "Size matters: performance declines if your pixels are too big or too small", ArXiv e-prints, vol. 0804, pp. 1-10.
- V. Kostakos, P. Kostakos. 2008. "Intelligence gathering by capturing the social processes within prisons", ArXiv e-prints, vol. 0804, pp. 1-21.
[pdf] [bibtex] [Citations: 1]
- V. Kostakos. 2008. "The privacy implications of Bluetooth", ArXiv e-prints, vol. 0804, pp. 1-10.
[pdf] [bibtex] [Citations: 7]
- V. Kostakos. 2008. "Bluetooth monitoring can bring many benefits", The Guardian, pp. 1-2.