Sample Recent Refereed Publications:
Education, Social Networking and ICT Adoption
- Alzougool BM, Chang SL, Gomes C & Berry M. (2013) Finding Their Way around: International Students’ Use of Information Sources. Journal of Advanced Management Science. 1 (1) : 43-49.
- Chang, S, Alzougool, B, Berry, M and Gomes, C and Reeders, D. (2012) International Students in the Digital Age: Do you know where your students go to for information? Australian International Education Conference (AIEC), 2-5 October 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- Chang, S, Alzougool, B, Gomes, C, Berry, M, Smith, S and Reeders, D. (2012) Communicating with International Students: How do their social networks impact on where they go to for information? ISANA International Academy Association Conference, 4-7 December 2012, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Nandi, D., Hamilton, M., Chang, S. & Balbo, S., (2012). Evaluating quality in online asynchronous interactions between students and discussion facilitators. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology . 28(4) : 9
- Hamid S, Waycott JL, Kurnia S & Chang S. (2011). Appropriating Online Social Networking (OSN) Activities for Higher Education: Two Malaysian Cases. The 28th Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (Ascilite2011). 526-538. Australia: ASCILITE.
- Hamid S, Chang S, Waycott JL & Kurnia S. (2011+. Making Sense of the Use of Online Social Networking in Higher Education: An Analysis of Empirical Data Using Activity Theory. Proceedings of the 6th Mediterranean Conference on Information Systems (MCIS 2011),. Georgia, United States: Association for Information Systems.
- Gray K., Chang S. & Kennedy G. (2010), Use of social web technologies by international and domestic undergraduate students: implications for internationalising learning and teaching in Australian universities. Technology, Pedagogy and Education. 19(1):31-46.
- Hamid S, Waycott J, Kurnia S & Chang S. (2010). The Use of Online Social Networking for Higher Education from An Activity Theory Perspective. 14th PACIS 2010 Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems. 1414-1425.
- Arkoudis SA, Yu XY, Baik CWB, Chang SLC, Lang IWL, Lang J, Pearce A & Watty KW. (2010). Finding Common Ground: enhancing interaction between domestic and international students. Guide for academics. Report No , for Australian Learning & Teaching Council. Sydney, Australia: Australian Learning and Teaching Research Council: Studio Teaching Project.
- Hamid S, Chang S & Kurnia S. (2009) Identifying the Use of Online Social Networking (OSN) in Higher Education. Same places, different spaces. Proceedings ascilite Auckland 2009. 419-422. New Zealand: ASCILITE 2009.
- Lei, W., Gibbs, M, Chang, S. and Lee H., (2008), Rethinking Digital Divide, ACIS 2008.
- Chang, S (2007),
Academic perceptions of the use of Lectopia: A University of Melbourne example, ASCILITE 2007, Singapore.
- Chang, S (2006) Facilitating Multicultural Classrooms: Reflection based on Hofstede's Framework, in Ong Siow Heng, Gerhard Apfelthaler, Katrin Hansen, Nirundon Tapachai, (eds.), Intercultural Communication Competencies in Higher Education and Management , Singapore : Marshall Cavendish Academic. 1st Intercultural Communication Competence Conference.
Health Informatics and Information Needs
- Alzougool BM, Chang SL & Gray KM. (2013) The nature and constitution of informal carers' information needs: what you don't know you need is as important as what you want to know. Information Research: an international electronic journal. 18 (1).
- Pedrana A, Hellard ME, Gold J, Ata N, Chang SL, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C & Stoove M. (2013) Queer as F**k: Reaching and Engaging Gay Men in Sexual Health Promotion through Social Networking Sites. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 15 (2)
- Nguyen P, Gold J, Pedrana A, Chang SL, Howard S, Ilic O, Hellard ME & Stoove M. (2013) Sexual Health Promotion on Social Networking Sites: A Process Evaluation of the FaceSpace Project. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Gold J, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C & Hellard ME. (2012). Developing Health Promotion Interventions on Social Networking Sites. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 14 (1) : e30.
- Pearce, J. M., Chang, S., Alzougool, B., Kennedy, G., Ainley, M., & Rodrigues, S. (2011). Search or Explore: Do you know what you’re looking for? Proceedings from 2011 Australasian Computer Human Interaction Conference, OzCHI 2011, Canberra.
- Gold J, Pedrana A, Sacks-Davis R, Hellard M, Chang S, Howard S, Keogh L, Hocking J and Stoove M, (2011) “A Systematic Examination of the Use of Online Social Networking Sites for Sexual Health Promotion” BMC Public Health.
- Pedrana, A., Asselin, J., Gold, J., Stoove, M. Batrouney, C, Crang, O., Chang, S., Howard, S., Hellard, M. (2011). Yes we can! Using social networking sites for health promotion targeting gay and bisexual men. 20th National Australian Health Promotion Association Conference, Cairns.
- Pedrana A, Asselin J, Gold J, Hellard M, Nguyen P, Batrouney C, Crang O, Chang S, Howard S, Stoove M. (2011). Signed! Sealed! Delivered! The FaceSpace Project: Developing, Delivering and Evaluating Sexual Health Interventions on Online Social Networking Sites. Sex::Tech 2011, San Francisco, USA.
- Fan H, Smith SPS, Lederman RML & Chang S. (2010). Why People Trust in Online Health Communities: An Integrated Approach. Proceedings of the 21st Australasian Conference on Information Systems.Texas, United States: Association for Information Systems.
- Gold J, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Howard S, Chang S, Benda P, Crang O, Keogh L, Hocking J, Hellard M. (2010) The FaceSpace Project: Developing and Evaluating Sexual Health Promotion on Online Social Networking Sites. 20th IUPHE World Conference on Health Promotion. Geneva.
- Gold J, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Ata N, Chang S, Crang O, Keogh L, Hocking J, Howard S, Hellard M.(2010) The FaceSpace Project: Delivering Sexual Health Promotion on Social Networking Sites. Public Health Association of Australia 40th Annual Conference. Adelaide.
- Nguyen P, Gold J, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Ata N, Crang O, Chang S, Benda P, Howard S, Hellard M. (2010) Going where the people are: Reaching young people and MSM for sexual health promotion via social networking sites. Sexual Health Conference. Sydney.
- Alzougool, B, Gray K & Chang, S (2009), An In-depth Look at an Informal Carers Information Needs: A Case Study of a Carer of a Diabetic Child. Electronic Journal of Health Informatics. 4(1):e2.
- Alzougool, B, Chang, S. and Gray (2008), Conceptualising information needs within the context of informal carers, Electronic Journal of Health Informatics, 3(2):e15.
- Sha'ari I, Chang S & Shanks G. (2008). Virtual Teams: Information Types for Effective Functioning. Leveraging ICT for Resilient Organizations and Sustainable Growth in Asia Pacific Region. Proceedings from Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS) 2008.
- Alzougool, B, Gray, K. and Chang, S. (2008), Toward a Taxonomy of Information Needs of Informal Carers
- A Case Study of a Carer of a Child with Diabetes, Heath Informatics Conference 2008.
- Alzougool, B, Chang, S. and Gray (2007), Modelling the Information Needs of Informal Carers, ACIS 2007.
Information Systems Security Culture and Management
- Lim J, Chang SL, Ahmad A & Maynard SB. (2012). Towards an Organizational Culture Framework for Information Security Practices. In Gupta M, Walp J & Sharman R (eds), Strategic and Practical Approaches for Information Security Governance: Technologies and Applied Solutions. Hershey, United States: Information Science Publishing , pp. 296-315.
- Abdul Molok N, Ahmad AA & Chang SLC. (2011). Exploring the use of online social networking among employees: Looking at the potential for information leakage. 15th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems. New York, United States: AISel.
- Abdul Molok N, Ahmad A & Chang S. (2010). Understanding the Factors of Information Leakage through Online Social Networking to Safeguard Organizational Information. 21st Australasian Conference on Information Systems. 11-11. Texas, United States: Association for Information Systems.
- Abdul Molok N, Chang SLC & Ahmad AA. (2010). Information Leakage through Online Social Networking: Opening the Doorway for Advanced Persistence Threats. The Proceedings of the 8th Australian Information Security Management Conference. 76-88. Churchlands, Australia: Edith Cowan University.
- Lim J, Ahmad AA, Chang SLC & Maynard SBM. (2010). Embedding Information Security Culture Emerging Concerns and Challenges. PACIS 2010. 463-474. Taipei, Taiwan: National Taiwan University.
- Lim JS, Chang S, Maynard S & Ahmad A. (2009), Exploring the Relationship between Organizational Culture and Information Security Culture. 7th Australian Information Security Management Conference. 88-97. Churchlands, Australia: Edith Cowan University.
- Ruighaver, A.B., Maynard, S.B. and Chang, S. (2007), Organisational security culture: Extending the end-user perspective, Computers & Security, 26(1): 56-62.
- Chang and Tharenou (2004) Competencies
needed for managing a multicultural workgroup, Asia-Pacific Journal
of Human Resources.
- Kesari, Chang and Seddon (2003) A
content analytic study of the advantages and disadvantages of business
process modelling, ACIS
ICT and Broadband Adoption
- Maail A, Kurnia S & Chang S. (2010). A Framework for Exploring Conditional Factors Affecting User Participation in Information Systems Development. ACIS 2010 Proceedings. . Texas, United States: Association for Information Systems.
- Middleton, C. and Chang, S. (2008), The Adoption of Broadband Internet in Australia and Canada , in Dwiverdi, Y. (ed) Handbook of Research on Global Diffusion of Broadband Data Transmission , UK : IDEA GROUP.
- Poon, D. and Chang, S. (2005) Appropriation of broadband in SMEs: lessons from research on the adoption of ICTs, ITS Regional Conference 2005
- Chang, S, Ahn, S, & Lee, H (2006) The Family Purchasing Process of Broadband Internet in Australia , International Journal of Technology Marketing, 1 (3): 285-300.
- Chang, Lee and Middleton
(2003) The Deployment of Broadband Internet in Australia: Areas for
Attention and Implications from Canada and Korea, ITS Regional Conference 2003.
Awards Received :
Australian Learning and Teaching Council Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning (2011)
University of Melbourne Citation for Outstanding Contribution in Building Cultural Awareness (2011)
IEAA Award for Best Innovation in International Education for Finding Common Ground Project (2011)
Vice-Chancellor's Engagement Award (2010)
Universitas 21 Fellowship (2009)
ISANA International Education Association Award for Service to the Profession (2008)
Faculty of Science Excellence in Teaching (2006)
Department of Information Systems Excellence in Teaching (2004, 2006, 2008)
IDP Award for Outstanding Contribution to International Education in Australia (2000)
Sample Grants Received :
Universities Australia and Australian Education International (AEI)
With Alzougool, Gomes, Berry and Reeders (2012) Mapping The Social Networks of International Students: Foundations for Improving Communication ($24,542)
Australian Teaching and Learning Grants (ALTC)
With Arkoudis et al (2008) Finding Common Ground: enhancing interaction between domestic and international students. ($215,000) IEAA Awardee for Best Innovation in International Education (2011)
With Smith et al (2011) New tools and techniques for learning in the field: studying the built environment ($212,000)
Institute of Broadband Enabled Society Grants
With Ainley et al (2010) Youth mental health and wellbeing online ($88,000 for 4 sub-projects)
With Pearce et al (2010) Connecting learners for collaboration across diverse communities ($70,000 for 3 sub-projects)
Australian Research Council
With Burns (Inspire Foundation) et al (2011) CRC: Young People, Technology and Wellbeing ($27M)
Teaching and Learning Grants (University of Melbourne)
Cultural Analysis of Exchange Studies, 2011(with Constantinidis) ($6000)
Connecting Across Barriers of Disability and Transition Knowledge Transfer, 2010 (with Ainley) ($9000)
Academic Reflections for First Year Science Students, 2010 (with Gleeson et al) ($9000)
Experience of Mixed Cohorts of Masters by Coursework Students, 2010 (with Smith et al) ($39000)
Teachout Transition for BIS students, 2010 ($7000)
Intercultural effectiveness Subject Development, 2009 (with Ransom and Stone) ($20000)
you are interested in postgraduate research related to the above areas, please
contact me for a chat. Previous and current students:
Kesari, The Usefulness of Process Modelling Tools (with Peter
Shuen, Critical Success and Failure Factors in Outsourcing of IT (with Peter Seddon)
Zhou, The relationship between culture and technology appropriation
Ahn, Family decision making process in the take up of broadband
technology in Australia (with Lee Hee Jin)
- Dixon Poon, Adopting Broadband Technology: The (limited) benefits for SMEs (with Lee Hee Jin)
- Njoroge Muito, The Impact of Broadband in High Schools (with Lee Hee Jin)
- Daniel Barkho, Rural Access to Broadband
- Lim Beng Yao, Information Security Policy Enforcement in Organizations (with Sean Maynard)
- Eleanor Yeo, Motivations behind Blogging Behaviour amongst Young Australians and Singaporeans
- Con Rigopoulos, Students' Perception of Online Discussion Boards for Educational Purposes
- Genevieve Yip, Information Disclosure Amongst Extensive Internet Users (with Atif Afmad)
- Chris Poynton, Influence of Organisational Culture on Protection of Online Identity from Theft (with Rachelle Bosua)
- Ashley Wong, Information Security Policy Implementation (with Sean Maynard and Atif Ahmad)
- Damien Chan, Success Factors in Outsourcing IT Security (with Atif Ahmad and Sean Maynard)
- Dip Nandi (Masters), Evaluating quality in online asynchronous interactions on online discussion forums between students and students’ facilitators (with Sandrine Balbo)
- Hunter Dean (Masters), Knowledge Management and Social Networking (with Rachelle Bosua)
- Leila Esfahani (Masters), Information Seeking Behaviour of International Students
- Haifa Binsahl (Masters), Adoption of Social Networking by Saudi International Female Student (with Sherah Kurnia and Katie Richardson)
- Bazil Alzougool (graduated 2010), Modelling Information Needs of Informal Carers (with Kathleen Gray)
- Imran Sha'ari (graduated 2010), Information Needs of Virtual Teams (with Graeme Shanks)
- Leo Lei Weizhen (graduated 2011), Self-initiated Digital Transition of Rural-Urban Migrants in Beijing (with Lee Heejin and Martin Gibbs)
- Michael Lim (graduated 2012), The Relationship between Organisational Culture and Information Security Culture (with Sean Maynard)
- Suraya Hamid, Social Networking in Higher Education (with Sherah Kurnia and Jenny Waycott)
- Fan Hanmei, Information Adoption in Online Communities (with Reeva Lederman and Stephen Smith)
- Nurul Nuha Abdul Molok, Information Leakage and Social Networking (with Atif Ahmad)
- Glenn Mail, ICT for Development in Indonesia (with Sherah Kurnia)
- Diana Wong, Enterprise 2.0 Capabilities (with Rachell Bosua and Sherah Kurnia)
- Behnaz Rostami Yeganeh, Safe Vitamin D Messaging and Information Systems
- Xin Li, Work Place Learning and Development amongst Clinicians (with Kathleen Gray and Kate Elliott)
- Moneer Alshaikh, Information Security Culture (with Atif Ahmad and Sean Maynard)