Welcome to my home page!
William Shieh, PhD
Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
Room 5.6, EEE Building
The University of
Victoria 3010 Australia
Tel: 61 3 8344 6800
My research involves balanced theoretical and experimental exploration outlined as follows:
1) Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) techniques for both optical and wireless applications (Click here to access our optical OFDM papers)
2) Few-mode fiber based devices and transmission systems
3) Long-range multi-parameter optical sensing; Coherent optical time domain reflectometry (COTDR)
4) Coherent optical communications, and optical signal processing and equalization
5) All-Optical packet switching, wavelength conversion and novel optical network architecture
6) Polarization effects in optical fiber including PMD and PDL in linear and nonlinear systems
7) RF photonics involving RF signal generation, characterization, transmission and processing
Currently I am looking for
postgraduate students who would like to develop technical skills
in above mentioned research directions.
My Curriculum Vitae (back-to-top)
University of Southern California -Ph.D. –Physics (thesis in EE) - 1996
University of Southern California -M.S. –EE-Communications - 1994
University of Science and Tech. of China - B.S. - Physics - 1989
Professor (2012-current), A/Professor and Reader (2009-2011), Senior Lecturer
(2004-2008), the University of Melbourne
• Research in the general area of optical communications
• Teaching and lab supervision
Technical Section Lead, Submarine Amplifier Design Group, Dorsal Networks/Corvis Corporation (2000-2003)
• High reliability submarine amplifier for next generation high capacity and ultra long haul transmission system;
• Transmission design for high-capacity and ultra-long reach submarine transmission systems and networks.
Member of Technical Staff,
• Polarization-mode-dispersion (PMD) compensation in 10 Gb/s WDM systems.
• Polarization-division-multiplexing (PDM) high-capacity system.
• 40 Gb/s Engineering rules for Wavestar systems.
• Specification and procurements of various passive components for Wavestar 400 G, such as optical Mux/Demux, Filter, switch, and gain equalizer.
Member of Technical Staff, Jet Propulsion Labs, Time and Frequency Systems
Group (1996 - 1998)
• Fiber optic antenna RF remoting for NASA deep space network
• Ultra-low phase noise RF source generation and characterization
• Photonic signal processing using optical modulators and optical amplifiers
Selected Publications: (back-to-top)
W. Shieh and C. Athaudage,
‘System Performance of Coherent Optical Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing’
OSA Topical Meeting, Coherent Optical Technologies and Applications, paper
3. W. Shieh, R. Hui, and X. Yi, “Degree-of-Polarization and Eye-closure Penalty associated with Optical Signals with Orthogonal Polarizations,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett., accepted for publication, 2006.
4. W. Shieh, “System Penalty due to Polarization-Mode-Dispersion in the Presence of Fast Polarization Scrambling,” IEE Electronics Letters, vol. 42, issue: 1, Jan. 05, 2006.
5. W. Shieh, X. Yi, and A. V. Tran, “A label swapping technique using synchronous phase modulation without wavelength conversion,” Optics Communications, accepted for publication, 2006.
6. W. Chen, R. S. Tucker, X. Yi, W. Shieh, and J. S. Evans, “Optical signal-to-noise ratio monitoring using uncorrelated beat noise, ” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett., Vol. 17, pp. 2484 – 2486, Nov. 2005.
11. W. Shieh and H. Kogelnik, “Dynamic Eigenstates of Polarization,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett, vol. 13, pp. 40-42, 2001.
12. W. Shieh, “Accelerated Outage Probability Testing for PMD Induced Impairment,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett, , vol. 12, pp. 1364-1366, 2000.
13. D. Engin, W. Shieh and K. Kim, “Second-Order PMD Measurement Using Polarization Dependent Base band Amplitude Modulation Method,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett, vol. 12, pp. 1671-1673, 2000.
W. Shieh, et.
al., “Dynamic Polarization Mode Dispersion Compensation in WDM Systems,” Proc.
European Conference on Optical Communcations’2000, vol. 2, pp. 41-43,
15. W. Shieh, “On the Second-Order Approximation of PMD,” IEEE Photon. Tech. Lett, vol. 12, pp.290-292, 2000.
W. Shieh, “
18. A. Willner and W. Shieh, “Optimal Spectral and Power Parameters for All-Optical Wavelength Shifting: Single Stage, Fanout, and Cascadability, ” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 13, pp. 771-854, 1995
About My Students (back-to-top)
· November, 2007: Congratulations to Xingwen Yi, the second PhD student I supervised for obtaining his Ph.D. degree.
Dr. Yi is currently a research scientist at the
· July, 2007: Congratulations to Vivian Wei Chen, the first PhD student I co-supervised for obtaining her Ph.D. degree.
Dr. Chen is currently an assistant professor at the Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands.
September, 2005: Congratulations to
Xingwen Yi and Vivian Chen for receiving internship in Alcatel Research Labs,
· Editor, IEEE Transactions on Communications
· Technical program committee member, European Conference and Exhibition on Optical Communication (ECOC), 2007.
· Technical program committee member, IEEE LEOS Annual Meeting, 2006, 2007
· Technical program committee member, Asia-Pacific Optical Communications (APOC), 2007
· Technical program committee member, Optical Fibre Communications Conference (OFC), 2002-2004
· Technical program chair, Wireless and Optical Communications Conference (WOCC), 2001
OFDM Papers and Books (back-to-top)
Ma, Q. Yang, Y. Tang, S. Chen, and
3. Q. Yang, S. Chen, Y. Ma, and W. Shieh, “Real-time reception of multi-gigabit coherent optical OFDM signals,” Opt. Express 17, 7985-7992 (2009). PDF
4. Z. Tong, Q. Yang, Y. Ma, and W. Shieh, “21.4 Gb/s Coherent Optical OFDM Transmission over 200 km Multi-mode Fiber,” Optoelectronics and Communications Conference (OECC), 2008, postdeadline paper PDP 5. PDF
5. X. Yi, W. Shieh, and Y. Ma, “Phase Noise Effects on High Spectral Efficiency Coherent Optical OFDM Transmission,” J. of Lightwave Technology, vol. 26, pp. 1309 – 1316, 2008. PDF1
6. W. Shieh, Q. Yang, and Y. Ma, "107 Gb/s coherent optical OFDM transmission over 1000-km SSMF fiber using orthogonal band multiplexing," Opt. Express 16, 6378-6386 (2008) PDF
7. W. Shieh, X. Yi, Y. Ma, and Q. Yang, "Coherent optical OFDM: has its time come? [Invited]," J. Opt. Netw. 7, 234-255 (2008) PDF1
10.W. Shieh, X. Yi and Y. Tang, “Transmission experiment of multi-gigabit coherent optical OFDM systems over 1000km SSMF fibre,” IEE Electron. Lett., vol. 43, pp. 183-185, Feb., 2007. PDF
12.X. Yi, W. Shieh, and Y. Tang, “Phase Estimation for Coherent Optical OFDM,” IEEE, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 19, pp. 919 - 921, 2007. PDF
13.Y. Tang, W. Shieh, X. Yi, and R. Evans “Optimal design for RF-to-optical up-converter in coherent optical OFDM systems,” Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 19, pp. 483 – 485, 2007. PDF
14.W. Shieh, “PMD-supported coherent optical OFDM systems,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 19, pp. 134-136, 2007. PDF
18.W. Shieh, X. Yi and
Y. Tang, ‘Experimental Demonstration of Transmission of Coherent Optical OFDM Systems,’ Optical
Fiber Communications Conference (OFC), paper OMP2, March, 2007,
19.Y.Tang, X. Yi and W. Shieh, and R. Evans,
‘Optimum Design for Coherent Optical OFDM Transmitter,’ Optical Fiber
Communications Conference (OFC), JThA47, March, 2007,
20.W. Shieh and C. Athaudage, ‘System Performance of Coherent Optical
Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing’ OSA Topical Meeting, Coherent
Optical Technologies and Applications, paper CWC5, Whistler,