Senior Fellow, Dept. of
Secretary, Royal Society of Victoria
Past President, International Commission for Dynamic Meteorology (ICDM) of the International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences (IAMAS).
Associate Editor for Oceanography, Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Journal
Merle A.Tuve Senior Fellow, Carnegie Institute of Washington, USA, Sept.-Oct 2012
Visiting scientist, QUEST, Dept. of Earth Sciences, U.K., 2006-2009
Leverhulme Visiting Professor,
Formerly Chief Research
Scientist, CSIRO Atmospheric Research,
Elected Fellow of the Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society, 2004
AMOS Priestley Medallist, 1997
Fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society.
and Research Secretary, Royal Society of Victoria Inc.,
Former member of Committee
Phone : 61-3 8344 7548
fax: 61-3 8344
Personal web site : http://people.eng.unimelb.edu.au/pbaines/
Copies of the paperback version are available from Cambridge University Press. For a description of this book, a list of reviews and how to purchase a copy, click here.
1. CLIMATE DYNAMICS ON THE DECADAL TIME SCALE
This work is based on the examination of reanalysis and satellite-based rainfall data, coupled with dynamical interpretations. Efforts have previously been focused on the late 1960s climate shift that influenced (among many other places) southwest Western Australia. Present efforts are directed toward the effects on land-based rainfall of global dynamical factors that represent physical processes; these include ENSO and the IOD and nine others.
2. TOPOGRAPHIC EFFECTS IN STRATIFIED FLOWS
Work on a second edition of the above-mentioned book is nearing completion. Some recent scientific results are described in references 145 and 146.
3-degree slope, Holmboe instability: click here.
30-degree slope, double outflow: click here.
3. VOLCANO DYNAMICS
These include the dynamics of ash clouds from mega-volcanos including ash deposition, the generation of atmospheric waves by volcanic eruptions. Recent results are described in references 140, 142 .
BAINES, P.G. and HENLEY, B. J. Patterns of decadal climate variability and their impact on Australian and global rainfall.
BAINES P.G. and SACKS, S. Applications of observations of internal wave generation by volcanic eruptions.
ENGWELL, S., SPARKS, S. and BAINES, P.G. Sedimentation from major volcanic eruptions.
146. BAINES, P.G. and JOHNSON, E.R. 2016: Nonlinear topographic effects in two-layer flows. Front. Earth Sci. 4:9. doi: 10.3389/feart.2016.00009.
145. BAINES, P.G. 2016 : Internal hydraulic jumps in two-layer systems. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 787, 1-15.
144. BAINES, P.G. 2014: Plumes, entrainment and B.R. Morton. Aust. Met. Oceanog. J., 64, 5-10.
143. BAINES, P.G. and HENLEY, B. J. 2014: The effect of global dynamical factors on the interannual variability of land-based rainfall. In Dynamics and Predictability of large-scale high-impact Weather and Climate Events, J. Li, R. Swinbank, H. Volkert and R. Grotjahn editors, Cambridge University Press, to appear.
142. BAINES, P.G. and SACKS, S. 2014 Atmospheric internal waves generated by explosive volcanic eruptions. In The Eruption of Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat from 2000 to 2010, G. Wadge and B. Voight editors, , Geological Society, London, Memoirs 2014, v.39; p153-168.
141. BAINES P.G , 2013 Non-Rotating Gravity Currents, Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences, Elsevier. 11-Sep-13 doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-409548-9.04243-3.
140. BAINES, P.G. 2013: The dynamics of intrusions into a density-stratified crossflow. Physics of Fluids 25, 076601, 1-30.
139. BAINES P.G. 2013: Stratified Hydraulics. Handbook of Environmental Fluid Dynamics (Ed. H.J.S. Fernando), Vol.1, Chapter 22, Taylor & Francis, pp.273-284.
138. PRENTICE, I.C., BAINES, P.G., SCHOLZE, M. and WOOSTER, M.J. 2012 Fundamentals of climate change science. Chapter 2 of Understanding the Earth System Global Change Science for Application. S.E. Cornell, I.C. Prentice, J.I House and C.J. Downy editors, Cambridge University Press, 267 pp.
135. BAINES, P.G.2009: A Model for the Structure of the Antarctic Slope Front. Deep-Sea Research II, 56, 859-873.
134. BAINES, P.G.2008: Mixing in downslope flows in the ocean - plumes versus gravity currents. Atmosphere-Ocean , 46(4), 405-419, doi:10.3137/AO925.2008 pdf
133. BAINES, P.G. JONES, M.J. and SPARKS S.J. 2008: The variation of large-magnitude volcanic ash cloud formation with source latitude. J. Geophys. Res.., 113, D21204, doi:10.1029/2007JD009568.
132. BAINES, P.G. 2008: Classics in Physical Geography revisited. Lorenz, E.N. 1963: Deterministic Non-periodic Flow. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 20, 130-141. Prog. Physical Geog. 32(4), 475-480.
131. PARKER, D., C. FOLLAND, A. SCAIFE, J. KNIGHT, A. COLMAN, P.G. BAINES and B. DONG, 2007: Decadal to multidecadal variability and the climate change background. J. Geophys. Res., 112, D18115, doi:10.1029/2007JD008411.
130. BAINES, P.G. 2007 Internal tide generation by seamounts. Deep-Sea Research Part I, 54 (9), p.1486-1508, doi:10.1016/j.dsr2007.05.009. pdf
129. BAINES, P.G. and C.K. FOLLAND, 2007 Evidence for a Rapid Global Climate Shift across the Late 1960s, J. Climate, 20, 2721-2744, doi:10.1175/JCL14177.1. pdf
The significance of this paper, with others, is discussed by Richard A. Kerr in Science, 10th August 2007, 317, 746-7: Humans and Nature Duel Over the Next Decade's Climate.
126. BAINES, P.G. 2006: The zonal structure of the Hadley circulation. Adv. Atmos. Sci., 23, 869-883. pdf
125. BAINES, P.G. 2006:
Coastal and Regional Currents of
124. BAINES, P.G. 2006: The late 1960s climate shift and its influence on the Southern Hemisphere. 8th International Conference on Southern Hemisphere Meteorology and Oceanography, Foz do Iguacu.
123. BAINES, P. G., and R. S. J. SPARKS 2005, Dynamics of giant volcanic ash clouds from supervolcanic eruptions, Geophys Res. Lett., 32, L24808, doi:10.1029/2005GL024597. pdf
121. BAINES, P.G. 2005 : Mixing regimes for the flow of dense fluid down slopes into stratified environments. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 538, 245-267. pdf
120. BAINES, P.G. 2005 :
Long-term variations in winter rainfall of southwest
119. BAINES, P.G., BOYER, D.L. and XIE, B. 2005 : Laboratory simulations of coastally trapped waves with rotation, topography and stratification. Dynamics of Atmospheres and Oceans, 39, 153-173. pdf
118. SMIRNOV, S.A, BAINES, P.G., BOYER, D.L., SRDIC-MITROVIC, A.N., and VOROPAYEV, S.I. 2005 : Long-time evolution of linearly stratified spin-up flows in axi-symmetric geometries. Physics of Fluids, 17, 016601, 13 pp. pdf
117. BAINES, P.G. and
MURRAY, D.L. 2003 : Airflow over
116. BAINES, P.G. and WHITEHEAD, J.A. 2003 : On multiple states in single-layer flows. Phys. Fluids, 15, 298-307. pdf
114. BAINES, P.G. 2002 : Two-dimensional plumes in stratified environments. J. Fluid Mech., 471, 315-337. pdf
110. BAINES, P.G. 2001 : Mixing in flows down gentle slopes into stratified environments. J. Fluid Mech., 443, 237-270. pdf
109. CAI, W. and BAINES, P.G. 2001 : Forcing of the Antarctic Circumpolar Wave by El Niño Southern Oscillation teleconnections. J. Geophys. Res., 106, 9019-9038. pdf
108. PRATA, A.J., BAINES,
P.G. and TILDESLEY, P.C. 2001 : Satellite observations of concentric ring
clouds west of
106. BAINES, P.G. 2001 : Downslope flows into rotating and stratified environments. In: Particulate gravity currents, B. C. Kneller, W. D. McCaffrey, and J. Peakall (editors), Special Publication of the International Association of Sedimentologists 31, Oxford: Blackwell Science, 113-120.
103. BAINES, P.G. and MILES, J.W. 2000 : On topographic coupling of surface and internal tides. Deep-Sea Res., 47, 2395-2403.
101. LANE-SERFF, G.F. and BAINES, P.G. 2000 : Eddy formation by overflows in stratified water. J. Phys. Oceanog., 30, 327-337.
98. CAI, W., BAINES, P.G. and GORDON, H.B. 1999 : Southern mid-to-high latitude variability, a zonal wave-number three pattern, and the Antarctic Circumpolar Wave in the CSIRO coupled model. J. Climate, 12, 3087-3104.
92. BAINES, P.G. 1998 : Stratified flow past complex terrain, and the parametrisation of sub-grid-scale orographic effects. In Proceedings of ECMWF Workshop on Orography, 10-12 Nov. 1997, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, Reading, U.K., 51-66.
91. LANE-SERFF, G.F. & BAINES, P.G. 1998 : Eddy formation by dense flows on slopes in a rotating fluid. J.Fluid Mech., 363, 229-252. pdf
89. BAINES, P.G. and CONDIE, S. 1998 : Observations and modelling of Antarctic downslope flows: a review. Ocean, Ice and Atmosphere: Interactions at the Antarctic Continental Margin, AGU Antarctic Research Series Vol. 75, S.S. Jacobs & R. Weiss editors, 29-49. pdf
87. BAINES, P.G., 1998 : Topographic Effects in Stratified Flows. Cambridge University Press, 482 pp (updated paperback edition).
86. BAINES, P.G. and McINNES, K. 1997 : The Southerly Buster. In Windows on
Meteorology An Australian Perspective, E.K. Webb, ed., CSIRO
85. BAINES, P.G. 1997 : Some oceanographic inferences from coarse-resolution ocean and climate models. International WOCE Newsletter No. 26, 3-5.
83. BAINES, P.G. 1997: A fractal world of cloistered waves. Nature 388, 518-9. pdf
82. CAI, W. and BAINES, P.G. 1996 : Interactions between thermohaline and wind-driven circulations and their relevance to the dynamics of the Antarctic circumpolar current in a coarse resolution global OGCM. J. Geophys. Res. 101, 14,073-14,093. pdf
81. BAINES, P.G. and HUGHES, R.L. 1996 : Western boundary current separation inferences from a laboratory experiment. J. Phys. Oceanog. 26, 2576-2588
80. BAINES, P.G., MAJUMDAR, S. and MITSUDERA, H., 1996 : The mechanics of the Tollmien-Schlichting wave. J. Fluid Mech. 312, 107-124. pdf
78. BAINES, P.G. and
MURRAY, D. 1995 : Topographic influence on the pattern of flow through
77. BAINES, P.G., 1995 : Topographic
Effects in Stratified Flows.
76. BAINES, P.G. and MITSUDERA, H., 1994 : On the mechanism of shear-flow instabilities. J. Fluid Mech. 276, 327-342. pdf
75. BAINES, P.G. and
MURRAY, D., 1994 : Modelling of the air flow over
71. BAINES, P.G. and SMITH, R.B., 1993 : Upstream stagnation points in stratified flow past obstacles. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans, 18, 105-113. pdf
68. BAINES, P.G., HUBBERT,
G.D., and POWER, S., 1991 : Fluid transport through
For a complete list of PGB's publications, click here.
Last update: 3rd March 2016