Oleksii (Alex) Vedernikov
Department of Computing and Information Systems
The University of Melbourne
I'm a PhD student under the supervision of professor Lars Kulik and professor Rao Kotagiri at the University of Melbourne.
My research interests include working with spatial data: its analysis, algorithms and visualization.
Currently, my PhD project is exploring hitchhiking and trying to solve an optimal route problem for a hitchhiker.
Address: Office 6.13, Doug McDonell Building,
University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
- 2014 - present: PhD in Computer Science at university of Melbourne, Australia.
- 2012 - 2014: MSc in Computer Science at National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan. GPA: 4.00
- 2007 - 2011: BSc (with honours) in Computer Science at Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine. GPA: 3.97
- Oleksii Vedernikov, Lars Kulik, Kotagiri Ramamohanarao. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Optimal Route Planning. IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management (MDM) 2017. (accepted)
- Oleksii Vedernikov, Lars Kulik, Kotagiri Ramamohanarao. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Pick-Up Locations. Open Geospatial Data, Software and Standards journal, 2016. Article link, PDF
- Oleksii Vedernikov. Usage of annotation tags in the problem of mining similar users. MobiSocial workshop at 16th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Data Management (IEEE MDM) , 2015. PDF
- 2nd semester 2016: Foundations of Computing COMP10001 tutor, Janet Clarke Hall, University of Melbourne
- 1st semester 2015: Spatial Databases GEOM90018 demonstrator, University of Melbourne
- 2nd semester 2013: Computer Science and Engineering Projects (I) teaching assistant, National Chiao Tung University
- 1st semester 2013: Introduction to Databases teaching assistant, National Chiao Tung University
- 04.2012 - 06.2012: Saprun comp, IOS software engineer intern. Developed libraries to display special graphs and tables in corporative iOS apps using Objective-C with Cocoa Touch and UIKit.
- 2nd place at Microsoft Coding Competition at UniMelb in 2016 (among 36 teams)
- 2nd place at Microsoft Coding Competition at UniMelb in 2015 (among 31 teams)
- Academic achievement award to the best student of EECS department, National Chiao Tung University, 2013
- Best thesis award in a group at Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, 2011
Technologies currently used
- Python (with Scipy stack)
- PostgreSQL (with PostGIS + pgRouting)
Previously used: Objective-C (with Cocoa Touch/UIKit), C++ with STL and boost, Matlab; QGIS, ArcGIS.
- Ukrainian - native speaker
- Russian - native speaker
- English - fluent
- Chinese - beginner
- 2016 - present: IEEE student branch committee member
- IJCAI 2017 student volunteer
Apart from science, my 3 main hobbies are:
Travelling. I've been to 30 countries so far, you can check my travel map here.
Soccer. As a data fan, I'm keeping track of the goals and assists I've scored in Australia, and the summary could be found here.
Reading. Here you can find about ~180 books I've read over the past 10 years, look up my favourites or recommend me any to read next.
Created by Oleksii Vedernikov.
Last modified: 26/11/2016.