Professor Iven Mareels
Iven Mareels was born in Aalst, Belgium, in 1959. He obtained the Master of Electromechanical Engineering from Gent University in 1982 and a PhD in Systems Engineering from the Australian National University in 1987. He joined the University of Melbourne in 1996 and was appointed Dean of the Melbourne School of Engineering in 2007. Iven leads the ICT for Life-Sciences Program at the National ICT Australia (NICTA) Research Centre. Previously, he was a lecturer at the University of Gent (1986 – 1988) and the University of Newcastle (1988-1990), and a Reader at the Australian National University (1990-1996).
Iven has extensive experience in consulting for both industry and government. In May 2008, he was awarded the ATSE Clunies Ross Award by the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering (ATSE) for a new approach to reducing water wastage using an IT-based management system in irrigation channels.
He has received a number of awards for his research publications.
Most recently he was recognised as Distinguished Lecturer by the IEEE Control Systems Society 2005. He has published widely and holds a number of patents.
- Systems engineering
- Control and instrumentation for irrigation networks
- Honorary Professor, Zhejiang University, Jan 2008-
- Member of the Board of Directors of SPIRE Innovations Pty Ltd, Aug 2007-
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Bionic Ear Institute (1997-) and Chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee for the Bionic Ear Institute, Sep 2006-
- Honorary Professor of Systems Engineering, Xiamen University, China (2004-)
- Vice-President International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC) as Chair of the Technical Board (IFAC), 2008-2011.
- Chair of the National Committee for Automation Control and Instrumentation, Engineers Australia, 2004-2009
- Fellow of the Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, Australia, November 2000-
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, USA, 2000-, Senior Member 1994-2000, Member 1986-1993, Student Member 1984-1986
- Fellow of the Institute of Engineers Australia, December 1995-, Chartered Professional Engineer, Member of the College of Electrical Engineers, Member of the College of Information Technology Engineers
- Member of Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1994-
Contact the Dean of Engineering:
Dean, Melbourne School of Engineering
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
T: int+61 (0)3 83 44 66 19